goswinParticipantNovember 7, 2020 at 4:59 PMPost count: 3844
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher
by Kate Summerscale
- Places: Rode, Somerset, England
- Publisher: Walker & Company
- Characters: Constance Emilie Kent, Francis Savile Kent, Detective Jonathan Whicher
- Author: Kate Summerscale
- Release date: April 27, 2020
- Genres: history, mystery, crime, historical, victorian, detective
- Language: english
- ISBN: 9780802715357 (0802715354)
- Awards: Macavity Award Nominee for Best Nonfiction/Critical (2009), Anthony Award Nominee for Best Critical Nonfiction (2009), Agatha Award Nominee for Best Nonfiction (2008), Galaxy British Book Awards for Book of the Year (2009), Edgar Award Nominee for Best Fact Crime (2009)
- Format: hardcover, 360 pages
About The Book
The dramatic story of the real-life murder that inspired the birth of modern detective fiction.
In June of 1860 three-year-old Saville Kent was found at the bottom of an outdoor privy with his throat slit. The crime horrified all England and led to a national obsession with detection, ironically destroying, in the process, the career of perhaps the greatest detective in the land.
At the time, the detective was a relatively new invention; there were only eight detectives in all of England and rarely were they called out of London, but this crime was so shocking, as Kate Summerscale relates in her scintillating new book, that Scotland Yard sent its best man to investigate, Inspector Jonathan Whicher.
Whicher quickly believed the unbelievable — that someone within the family was responsible for the murder of young Saville Kent. Without sufficient evidence or a confession, though, his case was circumstantial and he returned to London a broken man. Though he would be vindicated five years later, the real legacy of Jonathan Whicher lives on in fiction: the tough, quirky, knowing, and all-seeing detective that we know and love today… from the cryptic Sgt. Cuff in Wilkie Collins’s The Moonstone to Dashiell Hammett’s Sam Spade.
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher is a provocative work of nonfiction that reads like a Victorian thriller, and in it Kate Summerscale has fashioned a brilliant, multilayered narrative that is as cleverly constructed as it is beautifully written.
Online book The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher buy cheap. MP3 The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher Kate Summerscale read online for PC on Books-a-Million. PDF ebook The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale on Audible. TXT book The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher download on iOS.
Hardcover The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale PocketBook on IndieBound. EPUB ebook The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher download. MOBI book The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher Kate Summerscale buy on Amazon. Hardback ebook The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher read on Android.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.