goswinParticipantNovember 2, 2020 at 11:47 AMPost count: 2489
Guest House for Young Widows
Among the Women of ISIS
by Azadeh Moaveni
- Awards: Orwell Prize Nominee for Political Writing for Longlist (2020), The Baillie Gifford Prize for Non-Fiction Nominee for Shortlist (2019), Rathbones Folio Prize Nominee (2020)
- Release date: September 10, 2019
- Publisher: Random House
- Genres: politics, history, religion, war, feminism, womens, terrorism, islam, journalism
- ISBN: 9780399179754 (0399179755)
- Author: Azadeh Moaveni
- Language: english
- Format: hardcover, 362 pages
About The Book
Guest House for Young Widows charts the different ways women were recruited, inspired, or compelled to join the militants. Emma from Hamburg, Sharmeena and three high school friends from London, Nour, a religious dropout from Tunis: all found rebellion or community in political Islam and fell prey to sophisticated propaganda that promised them a cosmopolitan adventure and a chance to forge an ideal Islamic community where they could live devoutly without fear of stigma or repression.
It wasn’t long before the militants exposed themselves as little more than violent criminals, more obsessed with power than the tenets of Islam, and the women of ISIS were stripped of any agency, perpetually widowed and remarried, and ultimately trapped in a brutal, lawless society. The fall of the caliphate only brought new challenges to women no state wanted to reclaim.
Moaveni’s sensitivity and reporting makes these forgotten women indelible and illuminates the turbulent politics that set them on their paths.
Hardback ebook Guest House for Young Widows download on IndieBound. FictionBook book Guest House for Young Widows Azadeh Moaveni for iOS. Online Guest House for Young Widows buy cheap on PocketBook.
Hardcover ebook Guest House for Young Widows by Azadeh Moaveni read on Powells. PDF Guest House for Young Widows buy. Paperback book Guest House for Young Widows by Azadeh Moaveni PC on Books-a-Million.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.